i read the hunger games and catching fire while i was pregnant with brooklynn almost 4 years ago but i never read mockingjay. i don't know why i never read it.. it could be because so many people told me it was their least favorite out of the 3 books so i didn't feel a big rush to read it. well in light of my new years resolution to read 12 books this year i figured it give it a go. i'm so glad i did. i actually really liked it despite a few things that really made me mad.
here are my thoughts and yes there will be major major spoilers so if you haven't read the book and are planning to just do not read this post.
- um so peeta is crazy? i really don't like that he is all messed up for most of the book because i always loved how peeta loves katniss and would do anything for her that i hate that he's so mean to her for the majority of the book. on a different note it was nice to see katniss fight for peeta.
- i don't like that katniss is so cold towards gale. ok, now here's the thing. when i read the hunger games and catching fire i was so team peeta so i would not have cared had i read this before the movies came out... but i'm all confused now because they casted liam hemsworth as gale and he is just so much hotter than josh hutcherson who plays peeta that it made me conflicted.. dang movies.
- i liked that finnick and annie got married. that made me happy.
- i liked that katniss and johanna kind of helped each other out, it was nice to see them become sort of friends. but i was sad that she lost her mind again during the test and wasn't able to go into combat although it probably saved her life.
- speaking of that... why on earth did finnick have to die.. i really grew to love hims and it made me so sad that he left annie behind! boo
- i'm glad katniss didn't shoot gale when he mouthed it to her.. that would have been lame.
- I AM BEYOND UPSET THAT THEY KILLED PRIM! i mean hello, remember at the beginning of the series that katniss volunteered to take her place in the games so that she could live???? i mean, yeah katniss sparked the revolution and it all kind of worked out even though a lot of people died but come on.. not prim.
- i was actually kind of disappointed that most of the remaining victors chose to have the kids of those in power in the capitol to be in a hunger games.. really? like what did president snows granddaughter have to do with anything? that kind of bugged me.
- when katniss shot president coin... whoa, did not see that coming...
- i was sad that haymitch just went back to drinking.. though i don't blame him
- i wanted more interacted with katniss and peeta... i feel like it ended and they were like yeah we like each other?? what?? i need more.
- and what about gale.. so she gets taken to district 12 to live after the whole thing goes down and doesn't say bye to gale.. doesn't talk to gale.. doesn't know anything about what he's doing after everything that he did for her and her family! yeah i know she's made because he helped build the bomb that killed prim but he didn't send the bomb to kill her! i don't know it just makes me mad that after everything they went through they didn't even say bye to each other. i don't like that at all.
okay, i know most of those things are things that i didn't like about the book but i just had to get it off my chest. i really did like the book overall and i'm interested to see how they make the movie. wish it wasn't going to be in two parts..
anyway, anyone else read this book? thoughts?