Monday, October 3, 2011

guest post :: ashley from the shine project

Photobucket
Hi friends!
I'm Ashley, and I blog over at The Shine Project.
When I started my blog, the question became,
"With all of my interests, how do I find my niche?!"
Before we go any further, there's a little exercise that will help you figure outwhat exactly it is that you want to be known for.Think of your blog right now,and now think of where you want your blog to be in FIVE years.Now think in TEN years...Now, write down where your blog is NOW.If a lot of your answers don't match up, then we need to fix that!You should be accomplishing what you want N-O-W.
Here are 5 things that you can do to find your niche,and make your blog what you want it to be:
1. Make a list of 10 things that make you happy. Rank them from 1-10, 10 being the highest. For me, serving others and accomplishing goals were my highest.This is how I started The Shine Project
2. Look at other blogs/websites who have similar content to what you will be having. If your into fashion, compare fashion blogs, if its cooking, look at blogs that are dedicated to that. Make a list of things that you like, and don't like during your research.
3 .Determine what sets you apart. For me, there really was no lifestyle blog that was trying to accomplish what I wanted to accomplish. So I took my idea, and ran with it. Figure out what YOU have to add to fashion, or crafting, or raising kids. What makes you unique? If you have a hard time figuring this out, ask someone close to you. Also think about how you want the reader to feel after reading your blog.
4. Don't make your niche so small that it exludes a lot of people. For example, if youre into cooking, make sure you appeal to beginners, non-cookers, experts, etc. Otherwise, you will have trouble pulling people into your blog/website.
5. Trust yourself and have CONFIDENCE. If you don't believe in your idea, no one else will either. Hard challenges have great outcomes, so push forward and find how you can contribute to the people around you.
Now go and get that NICHE!

No comments: